Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Service Learning Journal 10/26

For my service learning project, I'm leading a sex education girls discussion group which is being held in a meeting room in an apartment complex, located in a poorer part of town. The Women's Wellbeing and Development Foundation holds a girls discussion group every Thursday at 6, and I'll be leading the sex ed group for 3 Thursdays. I went to the group unofficially October 4th to meet the girls and to get an idea of what the group is like. I had my first actual sex ed discussion with them on October 18th. Before I held this discussion, the girls put anonymous questions about sex and their bodies into a shoe box. I did research on these questions and answered them on the 18th. This week, I lead a discussion on the female body, arousal, and the benefits of masturbation. I used a fantastic book called It's Perfectly Normal to gather information for and lead this discussion. I highly recommend it to anyone! It does a great job at explaining sex, love, relationships, etc. It was a very interesting discussion, and the girls were definitely interested in had many questions about what I was saying!


5 comments:

  1. This topic is so sensitive, and yet you are handling it with such grace :D Honestly, I would be frightened to lead a class about sex, but you have been able to do it in a responsible way. I love that you are leading girls in the right direction about their bodies and the realities of sex. Great Job!!! :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I honestly am incredibly jealous that you are getting to lead these discussions with women! I'm not sure if you are aware of the service you are providing to women by fostering safe and healthy discussion about their bodies but it is really important. Be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it's an interesting experience! I'm not sure I would be able to be in your shoes, but it sounds like you are educating these women and providing a positive environment for them to learn in. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so cool! Even though I can't exactly say that I'd be able to give the best sex education to a group of girls, I'm still a little jealous that you're getting to teach a whole group of people! XD
    Do you have to do a lot of research for this sevice project, or do they give you the information there at the site? I'd really like to hear more about this; this all sounds really neat! ::D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sex is an important topic that many people are too embarrassed to discuss. I think it is great that you have the guts to lead a sex ed class! I bet you will learn a lot from this experience, as well as teaching the class a lot that they do not know already. Good luck in future!

    ReplyDelete